Skip to main content

Coo Too Ka ngut

As a teenager, I spent a lot of time around my maternal uncles. I grew up very close to them, and in many ways, I looked up to them as the father figures in my life -something I am forever grateful for.


One particular uncle had a lock-up shop in Gulu town, and in the late 1990s and early 2000s, his children and I often ran the shop during the holidays.

Gulu was very different then. There were bicycles everywhere. Motorcycles were not as common as they are today, and bicycle repair was serious business. Just in front of my uncle’s lock-up shop was a group of men who repaired bicycles. I still remember one of them very well. We called him Zong.

Zong handled his work with so much dedication. He had a family, took his children to school, and had a dream for them. He always told us he wanted his children to achieve more than he ever had, which I assumed meant doing more decent work or earning more than he did from his bicycle repair job. But one thing I admired about Zong and the other men who repaired bicycles was their dedication and determination to show up every single day. He was always greasy, wearing grease-stained overalls, and always smiling at his work. Zong and his fellow bicycle repairers were my uncle’s customers. But Zong and my uncle had somewhat different bonds. They called each other: “Coo Too.”

In Acholi, Coo Too literally means, “a man dies.”

But there was more to it. It was a shortened form of an expression in Acholi: “Coo Too, ka ngut.” Loosely translated, it carries the idea that a man learns his lesson only when he is already dead.

I was young then. I heard those words many times and probably laughed about them, but I don’t think I fully understood their weight. More than 25 years later, I find myself thinking about them differently.

Coo Too ka ngut.

A man keeps going.

Sometimes even when his body is tired. Sometimes when his mind is exhausted. Sometimes when everything inside him is telling him that he has reached his limit.

He keeps going.

Not necessarily because he doesn’t know when to stop, but because there are people depending on him.

There is rent to pay. There are children whose school fees must be paid. There is food that must reach home. There are parents and relatives who may need help. There are dreams he has quietly promised himself he will give his children. And sometimes, in trying to provide those things, he gives up something that money can never replace: time.

He misses birthdays.

He misses school events.

He doesn’t get to walk his children to school.

Sometimes the children go on holiday and return to school without him ever being home.

He misses anniversaries, family gatherings, and those ordinary little moments that don’t look important until one day you realise they were actually the important moments.

Some men spend weeks or months away from their families because that is where work has taken them.

Others put their bodies on the line every day.

The man climbing an electricity pole so that somebody else’s house can have light.

The man going underground to repair a sewer or drainage system.

The man on a construction site under the scorching sun.

The man driving a truck across borders through several nights.

The man working in places where his own family would probably be frightened to see him.

The man doing the dirty, dangerous, and exhausting jobs that most people often don’t notice when they are done well.

Behind many of these men is somebody they are trying to provide for.

And perhaps that is what Coo Too ka ngut has slowly come to mean to me.

There is something about a man that makes him keep pushing the boundary.

He tells himself, just a little longer.

One more year.

One more contract.

One more journey.

One more sacrifice.

Let me finish paying this.

Let me build this.

Let me educate these children.

Let me make sure they are okay.

Then I will rest.

But somehow, the goalpost keeps moving.

And sometimes a man keeps going until there is almost nothing left of himself to give.

Perhaps Zong and my uncle were joking when they used to call each other Coo Too all those years ago in front of that little lock-up shop in Gulu town.

But today, those two words mean something deeper to me. Because somewhere tonight, there is a man missing home while trying to build a home. There is a man missing his children while working for his children. There is a man carrying a burden he rarely talks about because, in his mind, carrying it is simply what he is supposed to do.

And perhaps nobody will ever fully know the things he gave up along the way.

Comments

Very beautiful piece 👌
Stephen Anywar said…
This is a very nice piece because I do also remember those gentlemen referred to.

But perhaps that also explains why men on most cases die earlier than their wives. Because of all those hassling they forget the things that a very important in their life. In particular their health! We do too much and forget to take care of our health.

Popular posts from this blog

The Pagee Wine Lesson: A Teenage Mistake That Shaped My Life

I tasted alcohol and its most devastating effects on the very first day I tasted Pagee Wine from St. Mary’s Lacor in Gulu, Uganda, in 1998. Pagee Wine is a local wine made from pineapple. Even though that moment happened nearly 27 years ago, just the thought of walking back into that local drinking joint in Lacor and catching a sip of Pagee Wine still sends a wave of anxiety through me. Back then, secondary schools were a breeding ground for teenage experimentation with smoking and alcohol, a lot of it fueled by the pressure to fit in with the crowd.   How It All Began I joined Bishop Angelo Negri College in 1998, a prestigious boarding school I had long admired. However, looking back, it's clear that my time at Negri College could have easily been described as a jungle. The school was full of wild characters; some boys chased after girls, others escaped school to drink and dance, and a few were bookworms. We had a mix of wealthy students and those from humble backgrounds, an...

How I Beat a Bully and Learned to Stand Up for Myself

Growing up, life wasn't exactly straightforward. I lost my dad when I was seven, and my mom, a teacher, did her best to raise me and my siblings. We lived in two tiny grass tukuls at the school where she worked. I didn't realize how poor we were until I came of age. Everyone around us at the time was poor, and while things weren't always easy, we got by.   But one thing that made school particularly tough for me was bullying. I have big eyes, and kids loved to point that out. "You look like a frog!" "You've got owl eyes!" It was harsh, and every time they said it, I felt smaller and smaller. I was always sad, and the last thing I wanted to do was go to school. My mom didn't fully understand the weight of what I was going through. She had a lot on her plate, trying to care for four kids while teaching full-time. I didn't think my mother could do anything to help my situation, so I kept it all inside.   But there were days when the bull...

The Great Sacred Heart Secondary School Escape: How I Got Arrested for Flirting

In 1998, I joined Bishop Angelo Negri College in Gulu, Uganda. I was an adolescent. Little did I know that my adolescent adventures would soon lead me to a police arrest at a girls' school, a shirtless 'sentence', and an unforgettable lesson. Bishop Angelo Negri College is a boy boarding school owned by the catholic church. Students from diverse cultural and religious backgrounds attended Negri College school then. Being a single-sex school, the lack of female company was a significant problem. Our solution was simple: escape our school's confines and go to other schools with girls. Though fenced and heavily guarded, the neighbouring Sacred Heart Secondary School was too tempting to resist. So, my friends and I would often sneak out of Negri College school to chat with the occasional Sacred Heart School girls through their school fence or simply walk past the school and enjoy seeing beautiful girls moving around the school campus. This was the charm at the time, and w...