Skip to main content

How My Village Uncle with Leprosy Infected All the Cups in Our House

 When I was a child growing up with my siblings and our mother in Gulu City, Uganda, I had a limited understanding of what leprosy was. If I saw someone with signs and symptoms of leprosy on the road, I didn't want to greet them. I would simply run. I thought that even saying hello might infect me. I recall saying prayers that my family members do not get the deadly disease. That is how deeply I feared it. Back then, in the 1990s, it was common to see people with leprosy disease where I lived. Little did I know that one day, leprosy would not just come near me but inside our house, and this experience never left my memory.

 

My mother was a teacher at a Primary School in the west of present-day Gulu City. We lived in the teachers' quarters, which was basically a compound of grass-thatched tukuls. My mom had the main tukul, which included a sitting area and a bedroom. My sisters shared the kitchen tukul as their bedroom, and I, being the only big boy, slept in another kitchen tukul with our neighbours' sons. It was humble, but it was home.

 

One day, this man appeared from my mother's village. A relative, apparently. He had full-blown leprosy. I was a child and was quite horrified to see all the symptoms of leprosy on his fingers and toes. I hoped, prayed, and even left home for a few hours just to escape any possible contact with him. I thought he was just passing by and would eventually leave. Little did I know he was staying in our home for some days.

 

When I returned that evening, he was still there. At dinner time, he was still there. And in the most unimaginable twist of fate, I was expected to eat with him. From the same bowl. Because my mother believed that a guest cannot eat alone. As a boy, I was accustomed to eating with male guests, so this practice was not new, except that this time, the guest was someone I had been running away from.  

 

Let me pause here for those born in the late '90s or after the year 2000: there was a time when families shared food from a single large bowl. There were no individual plates, no buffet line, no excuses. If you were at the table, you ate from the same bowl. So, here I was, about 10 years old, trembling inside, sharing posho and 'dek boo', a local Acholi traditional vegetable stew, with a man I had previously been dodging like a stray bullet. This was the beginning of my worst nightmare.

 

But worse than eating from the same dinner bowl was the cup. You see, my village uncle drank tea and water with the same cups we all used. And since I couldn't exactly protest (in those days, talking back to adults meant earning a beating that could reset your memory, and my mother is one of a kind), I devised a genius child survival strategy and began secretly marking every cup he used.

 

With a safety pin, I scratched an "X" under each cup. That was my warning system. If I picked up a cup and saw an X, it meant 'danger: do not drink from it.' The strategy worked initially, but as the Leper stayed for more days, I realised one day that all the cups now had an X on them. Every single one. The man had outpaced my marking strategy. He had, without knowing it, baptised all our cups "infected with leprosy".

 

My brilliant plan had failed. I could no longer trust any cup in the house, and I was now the thirsty one. I contemplated drinking water from our neighbours but feared my mum would know, and it would have consequences. That's when it finally hit me: I should have saved one clean cup for myself and hidden it, but it was too late for regrets.

 

So, I did what any desperate, slightly germophobic village boy would do. I picked one of the already-marked cups, scrubbed it with sand, water, and soap, and even rinsed it with hot water; then, when my mum wasn't looking, I boiled it. It made using it feel safer. I sanctified that cup as if it were going to carry holy water. None of my siblings or mum knew about this, and this cup became mine alone until the Leper finally left.

 

I can't help but laugh at how my childhood brain interpreted danger and survival techniques. I didn't know then that leprosy isn't even spread by sharing cups. And if there is any lesson I learned from my childhood story, then it is that one should always hide one clean cup. You never know who is coming to stay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coo Too Ka ngut

As a teenager, I spent a lot of time around my maternal uncles. I grew up very close to them, and in many ways, I looked up to them as the father figures in my life -something I am forever grateful for. One particular uncle had a lock-up shop in Gulu town, and in the late 1990s and early 2000s, his children and I often ran the shop during the holidays. Gulu was very different then. There were bicycles everywhere. Motorcycles were not as common as they are today, and bicycle repair was serious business. Just in front of my uncle’s lock-up shop was a group of men who repaired bicycles. I still remember one of them very well. We called him Zong. Zong handled his work with so much dedication. He had a family, took his children to school, and had a dream for them. He always told us he wanted his children to achieve more than he ever had, which I assumed meant doing more decent work or earning more than he did from his bicycle repair job. But one thing I admired about Zong and the other men ...

How I Beat a Bully and Learned to Stand Up for Myself

Growing up, life wasn't exactly straightforward. I lost my dad when I was seven, and my mom, a teacher, did her best to raise me and my siblings. We lived in two tiny grass tukuls at the school where she worked. I didn't realize how poor we were until I came of age. Everyone around us at the time was poor, and while things weren't always easy, we got by.   But one thing that made school particularly tough for me was bullying. I have big eyes, and kids loved to point that out. "You look like a frog!" "You've got owl eyes!" It was harsh, and every time they said it, I felt smaller and smaller. I was always sad, and the last thing I wanted to do was go to school. My mom didn't fully understand the weight of what I was going through. She had a lot on her plate, trying to care for four kids while teaching full-time. I didn't think my mother could do anything to help my situation, so I kept it all inside.   But there were days when the bull...

The Pagee Wine Lesson: A Teenage Mistake That Shaped My Life

I tasted alcohol and its most devastating effects on the very first day I tasted Pagee Wine from St. Mary’s Lacor in Gulu, Uganda, in 1998. Pagee Wine is a local wine made from pineapple. Even though that moment happened nearly 27 years ago, just the thought of walking back into that local drinking joint in Lacor and catching a sip of Pagee Wine still sends a wave of anxiety through me. Back then, secondary schools were a breeding ground for teenage experimentation with smoking and alcohol, a lot of it fueled by the pressure to fit in with the crowd.   How It All Began I joined Bishop Angelo Negri College in 1998, a prestigious boarding school I had long admired. However, looking back, it's clear that my time at Negri College could have easily been described as a jungle. The school was full of wild characters; some boys chased after girls, others escaped school to drink and dance, and a few were bookworms. We had a mix of wealthy students and those from humble backgrounds, an...